At St Cuthbert Mayne, we believe that Music is fundamental to our humanity and civilization. Every child deserves the opportunity to engage with music of all styles and from all cultures, to develop their own musical journey. We have invested in ‘Charanga’ whose music scheme provides clearly sequenced units and lessons with week-by-week support for each year group.
This Scheme of Work, and therefore our music curriculum, is built on the following principles:
- Children will develop their skills in inquiry and critical thinking.
- Children will begin to feel and learn about social connectivity.
- Children will learn about and deepen their musical understanding and connect this with their place in their community.
- Children will become globally aware and understand what it means to become a citizen of the world.
- Songs and singing lie at the heart of the learning process.
- An authentic musical experience is at the heart of musical learning.
- At each age and stage of development, musical learning is drawn from engaging with the songs in each unit.
- The scheme is fun, modern, inclusive and engaging.
- The scheme will help children to understand and connect with different styles of music from various cultures, particularly where cultures intersect.
- Children will gain an understanding of historical and cultural contexts related to music.
- Children will form their own musical opinions and learn to make their own musical decisions.