Programme of study – Art & Design
- Equip children with a high-quality art and design education.
- Inspire and challenge children, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- Enable children to progress through evaluation and critical thinking and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
- Equip children with the knowledge of how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute creativity and wealth of our nation.
- Enable children to produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Enable children to become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Encourage children to evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Equip children with the knowledge of great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- It is taught in topics as set out in the Art & Design outline.
we teach Art & Design through the use of:
- Sketch books
- Real life artists
- Visiting workshops
- Practical work
- Independent, paired and group work
- ICT skills
- The interactive whiteboard
We provide the children with these key skills:
- Ability to develop techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
- To create sketchbooks to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- To improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials
- Knowledge of great artists, architects and designers in history.
Provision for More and Most Able Children
We plan a variety of opportunities to extend, enrich and enhance the learning of our more and most able children, so that they achieve to the best of their ability and make the best possible progress.
- By the end of Key Stage 2, children are expected to know, apply and understand the skills and processes taught in each unit.